Sometimes, you might feel like you have to cut off ties with your family. Maybe they’re constantly putting you down or just too toxic for you to be around.
While it’s never an easy decision, knowing whether or not it’s haram can make it even harder. So, is it haram to cut off family?
If you feel you need to distance yourself or cut off ties with your family or relatives, know that you’re not alone. This is a problem faced by many people. Read on to learn Islam’s stance on the matter.
Is It Haram To Cut Off Family?
Cutting off from family is not allowed in Islam in any circumstance, whether they are good to you or bad.
If you think they’re doing wrong with you or even eating or doing haram things, you still can’t cut off from them. You have to try to change them and guide them to the right path by being good to them, not by abandoning them.
Who else will teach and guide them if you are cut off from your family? You might be the only good influence in their lives, so you must show them the right way.
Many hadith mention that even if your parents or relatives are non-believers, you should still treat them well. For example:
If your family orders you to get them haram things, you can disagree with them well without being rude or disrespectful. You can’t just leave or abandon them because that’s not the Islamic way.
And if your family is mistreating you, remember that Allah is always with you and will never mistreat you. Seek guidance from Him and have patience; things will get better insha’Allah. But never give up on your family or think of them as lost causes because, with the help of Allah, anything is possible.
If you don’t want to get married, you can read is it haram to not get married.
What To Do If You Can’t Cut Off Family
It’s challenging to deal with a toxic family member or relative, but it is possible. Here are some things you can do to make the situation better:
- Pray for them. Ask Allah to guide them and show you how to deal with them in the best way possible.
- Talk to them calmly and respectfully about what’s bothering you. Maybe there’s a misunderstanding that can be cleared up.
- Avoid situations that will cause arguments. If you know there’s a topic that’s always a trigger for an argument, try to avoid it.
- Set boundaries. If you need some space, let them know respectfully. You can still love them from a distance.
- Seek professional help if you need it. If the situation is terrible and you can’t handle it on your own, seek help from a therapist or counselor.
- Go on vacation or take a break from them. If you need some time to yourself, go on vacation or take a break from them. This doesn’t mean you’re cutting them off; it just means you need time to yourself.
- Figure out what you can and can’t control. You can’t control how they act, but you can control how you react. Focus on taking care of yourself, and don’t let their toxic behavior get to you.
- Remember that you’re not alone. Other people understand what you’re going through. Seek support from friends or family members who can offer a listening ear and some helpful advice.
- Never give up hope. Things might not improve overnight, but with patience and perseverance, they will get better insha’Allah.
Q. Is it haram to cut off toxic family members?
Islam doesn’t condone cutting off from family, even if they are toxic. You have to try to change them and guide them to the right path by being good to them, not by abandoning them.
Q. Is it haram to leave your family?
It’s not stated explicitly in the Quran, but based on the general principle of being good to your parents and relatives, it would be haram to leave them unless it’s for a good reason, like moving for work.
Q. Is it haram to cut off friends?
If your friend is doing haram things, you should try to stop them and guide them to the right path. If they’re not willing to change, you can cut them off, and it will not be haram.
Q. Is it haram to run away from your family?
Running away from your family is not the Islamic way of dealing with problems. You should try to solve the problem respectfully and peacefully. If that’s not possible, you can seek help from professionals or temporarily take a break from them. But running away is not the solution in Islam.
If you have opposite gender friends, you should read is it haram to be friends with the opposite gender.
Conclusion On Is It Haram To Cut Off Family
Family is essential in Islam, and even though it’s not always easy to get along with them, we should try our best to treat them well.
Don’t give up hope if you’re having problems with a toxic family member. Remember that Allah is always with you, and He will never mistreat you. Seek guidance from Him and have patience; things will get better insha’Allah.